Dorian yates is a professional bodybuilder who has won the Mr.Olympia title six consecutive times from the year 1992 to 1997. Dorian yates has the fifth-highest number of Mr. Olympia award. He is one of the top bodybuilders in history of bodybuilding and is known for his thick wide back. Know his strategy,workout routine and nutrition in our blog Dorian yates workout and diet routine.
Dorian was born on 19 April 1962 in Hurley but his family moved to Birmingham as he grew up. Dorian is now married to a fitness model from Brazil Glauce “Gal” Ferreira. She is a winner of the IFBB South American Bodyfitness event and IFBB World Bodyfitness Champion 2007. They met each other for the first time at the 2008 Arnold Classic. They currently live in Marbella. Yates son is also a bodybuilder.
From Prison to Olympia.
Dorian’s father died from heart attack when he was just 13 years old. After losing his father ,his mother started living with another man. And as a teenager Dorian joined a skinhead gang in the city and use to party and stay with them .At the age of 19 he was involved in a gang violence for which he got arrested and was sent to prison for 6 months. That’s where his seeds of bodybuilding were sown . Dorian joined a gym as he completed his 6 months tenure in prison.
He use to idolize the Dragon ‘Lee Haney’ who was the Mr.Olympia in the year 1884. Dorian adopted the training method inspired by Mike Mentzer called as HIT or High Intensity Training . His strategy was to reach high levels of intensity in minimum time interval. The workout lasted maximum for an hour and he use to workout for about 3-3.5 hours a week. His principle was to train with high intensity and eat more and rest more. He says that the body is build not in the gym , it is build at the time when you are out of gym.
At the age of 21 he competed in his first bodybuilding competition that was 1984 Mr. Birmingham novice and he won the competition. But this was only the start , in his bodybuilding career he participated in 22 competitions from which 1986 EFBB British HW , 1988 British Championships , 1991 Night of Champions , 8 Grand Prix and 6 Mr.Olympia titles he stood at first position.
In the year 1991, it was for the first time he stepped on Mr.Olympia stage and in competition with his idol Lee Haney. He was the one who almost matched the physique of Lee Haney and stood second beside Lee Haney. Dorian was the one to match the points with Lee Haney and in a pose he even defeated Lee Haney . But it was the first and the last year they both shared stage together as Lee Haney decided to stop competing in competitions however it was just the start for the shadow to conquer the sport of Bodybuilding.
He won the greatest of all Mr.Olympia title for 6 consecutive times from the year 1992-1997. Dorian yates leveled up the game by presenting a combination of huge mass,symmetry, and conditioning all together. He is considered as the first mass monster of modern bodybuilding. His back was the widest of all.
Yates’s is known by the nickname, ‘The Shadow,’ because of his ability to stay out of public gaze before a competition and shock everyone with his best physique every time he stepped on stage .Yates adopted the HIT or High-Intensity Training method that focuses on fewer reps and maximum effort.He use to live in the coldest place of England and use to train in a basement. He was never involved in any controversy or was never in contact with the media or internet. He just use to eat big and workout for the whole year and then appear suddenly in a competition and win it that’s what gave him the name ‘The Shadow’.
Nutrition and Diet Plan.
Dorian use to follow a diet plan that had a perfect balance of proteins and carbohydrates. Yates was against loading the body with carbs before a workout and emphasized upon having a carbohydrate drink as a post-workout shake to maximize muscle recovery and growth. He believes that his diet had undergone a lot of improvement since the years 1987-1988.
He strictly advises to not take anabolic steroids if they aren’t worth it . One should only be risking their health if they are having a specific goal such as being a professional bodybuilder or actor . Because the side effects will last life long. Dorian is strictly against the use of steroids just to look good for a beach ,impressing girls or looking good.
He was very strict and disciplined with his diet and use to have 6 meals throughout the day. His detailed meals are given below;
1. 8 AM – His first meal of the day included porridge prepared with a cup of Oatmeal, 10 egg whites, and 1 scoop of protein powder.
2. 9;30 AM – He use to have a protein shake 90 minutes before hitting the gym.
3. 12 AM – Post workout high carb and protein shake.
4. 1 PM – Yates’ lunch consists of two chicken breasts, green vegetables, and rice/potato.
5. 3-4 PM – Protein shake.
6. 5:30-6 PM – His dinner plate has a 12 oz filet of mignon, green vegetables, and potato/rice.
7. 8-9 PM – The last meal of the day was a small serving of porridge cooked with a half cup of oatmeal, and six egg whites.
Dorian yates workout .
The workout program mainly focuses on intensity.It should last for maximum 1 hour and proper rest between the workouts should be taken .One should adopt what works for him/her and eliminate what does not systematically.
Monday – Abs, Shoulders and Triceps.
1. First exercise is triceps push down for 15/12/10 reps.
2. Second is lying EZ- Curl extensions of 8-20 reps for 2 sets.
3. Third is 3 sets of smith machine presses of 15-30 reps.
4. Fourth is 3 sets of seated laterals of 8-20 reps.
5. Fifth is 2 sets of one arm cable lateral of 10-30 reps.
6. Last exercise is 2 sets of dumbbell shrugs of 10-20 reps.
1 working set of each exercise of abs for 20 reps
1. Roam chair sit-ups.
3. Reverse Crunch.
Tuesday – Back
1. 3 set of hammer strength pull downs for 15-30 reps
2. 2 sets of barbell rows for 8-20 reps
3. 2 set of hammer strength one-arm row for 10 reps
4. 2 set of cable rows with overhand grip for 10 reps
5. 2 set of hammer strength rear-delt machine for 10 reps
6. 2 set of bent over dumbbell raises for 10 reps
7. 2 set of hyperextensions for 10-12 reps
8. 2 sets of dead lifts for 8-12 reps
Thursday – Chest, Biceps and Abs.
1. 3 sets of incline dumbbell curls of 8-10 reps.
2. 3 sets of EZ barbell curls of 6-10 reps.
3. 2 sets of nautilus curls of 6-10 reps.
4. 3 sets of incline barbell press of 8-12 reps.
5. 2 sets of hammer strength seated bench presses of 6-10 reps.
6. 2 sets of incline dumbbell flys of 8-10 reps.
7. 1 set of cable crossovers of 10-12 reps.
Saturday – Quads and Calves.
1. 3 sets of leg extensions of 10-15 reps.
2. 3 sets of leg presses of 10-12 reps.
3. 2 sets of heck squats of 10-12 reps.
4. 2 sets of lying leg curls of 10-12 reps.
5. 1 set of stiff-legged deadlifts of 8-10 reps.
6. 1 set of single leg curls of 8-10 reps.
7. 2 sets of standing calf raises of 10-12 reps.
8. 1 set of seated calf raises of 8-10 reps.